Thread: Rebuild
View Single Post
Old
02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
lamp9post

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
I don't think it's crazy to think rebuild if it's a limited one. But it's not going to happen.

On the one hand, if the team is even in 5th or 6th spot as the deadline approaches, he'll have to make a move and hope the team exceeds (what will by then be) modest expectations for the post-season.

If the team continues to slide, however, and is hovering between 7th and 9th, Gainey will have to make a move and hope the team gets to the post-season and then exceeds expectations.

Either way, Gainey is going to have to make a move. And it's probably not going to be one that says "rebuild".

Kovalev is done as a Hab unless he carries the team the rest of the way and through the playoffs. It's because rational people don't see that happening that they call for a rebuild. And it's not crazy.

As for Koivu, he's got to be a number 2 centre. Plekanec's play has been a real disappointment, and it has put the centre position back on the front burner.

Personally, I would not wait for the deadline. I'd move now to change the dynamic in the lockeroom. If I could get a decent return for Kovalev (almost anything) I'd do it, and send a clear message to the under-26 crowd in the lockeroom: we're going to do this with young legs and discipline, or we're not going to do it at all.
Agreed. This team is going nowhere if Higgins/pleks/Kost bros. don't pick it up. They need to realize this is their team, not Koivu's or Kovy's, and be accountable for their play.