Old
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
How much can their games be upped?

I'd personally be totally floored if Powe ever broke 25 points in the NHL and Upshall ever broke 45-50.

Put Giroux with those 2 (Upshall-Powe-Giroux) and you have a 3rd line that will be solid defensively and can chip in offensively.

Instead, we have the trainwreck of a putting a player who's not a natural center and has never played center at the professional level on our 1st line.

Serious, which combo would you rather see.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Upshall-Powe-Giroux

OR

Gagne-Giroux-Knuble
Powe-Richards-Upshall

In the 1st case, you have a line that will score some (Knuble should not be there at ES) and another line that will chip in.

In the 2nd case, you have 2 lines that aren't going to score very much.

People keep forgetting that Richie is not an elite ES offensive player. Note that I'm making a difference here between an elite ES player (which he is) and an elite ES offensive player (which he isn't).

Last year, he was 58th in the NHL in ES points. This year, playing on our supposed top line, he's 87th in the NHL in ES points.

Admittedly, part of this is because he's been saddled with Knuble on the top line (I've been against this since Day 1, even when they were hot), but part of it is just that he's not an elite ES offensive player.

Therefore, thinking that he will go to a line with Powe and Upshall and immediately start contributing offense is a bit naive in my book.
Richards has the ability to generate plenty on his own. Upshall and Powe bring the energy to pound into the corners and set up the play when they play dump and chase. The line should work fairly well.

I still don't understand why everyone's freaking out. Stevens said he wants to try it, which is what I'm all for. Eventually the Giroux's gonna lose it (he's young, after all, and hasn't developed yet) and it's going to go back to Richards on the first line. It's amazing how you agree with Stevens and the entire board wants your head on a platter and writes essays as to why you're wrong. For now, take advantage of a hot Giroux.

Did everyone also forget that the next 2 games are against 2 of the 3 worst teams in the NHL(and at home for that matter)? If there's a time to experiment with things like this, that time is now, which is why I think Stevens is making the right call.