Thread: Injury Report: Neil Out Indefinitely
View Single Post
Old
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkie View Post
It's not good cap management to pay a 4th liner 1.5 million. If he wants that kind of money then he shouldn't be resigned. At this point we need to spend money on more important issues like puck moving defensemen and secondary scoring.
Again, this is kind of a personal opinion thing, but how much do you want Mike Fisher fighting next year? Cody Bass is a good, gritty player, but he's been injured several times now and probably should start playing the game in the corners instead of dropping the gloves.

Sure, Jason Smith can drop as well, but IMHO we already have too few guys who will come charging in and drop 'em after a questionable hit. That mentality has to change - and I think Neil's one of the guys to teach the younger players going forward.

Plus, cap management...it's 1.5 million dollars - and increase of 400K next year and going forward. Not too bad really. Not to mention that sooner rather than later you're paying a Chris Neil 'replacement' close to a million I would imagine. Probably 800K for Bass' next contract. So the difference between keeping Neil and replacing him becomes 500K-700K. Not a lot in this NHL for a guy that can really grind opponents with hits etc.

Again...just my personal opinion.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote