Thread: Value of: Niedermayer and Pronger
View Single Post
Old
02-11-2009, 05:39 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
If you're under the impression that Alex Ovechkin/Mike Green/Nick Backstrom/Karl Alzner are only good for 2 runs at a cup then you make the deal. I don't happen to think that the cup window is closing, in fact I don't think it's even opened yet. We don't have the experience of a Boston or New Jersey. I'd love to get Pronger but I don't think our window is going to legitimately open until next season after one more run in the postseason. Pronger could expedite that process, but it could also mean that our window, much like Pittsburgh, could close way earlier than we would like. If you could get Pronger moving a guy like Jeff Schultz and Joe Finley or Tomas Flieschmann or Eric Fehr along with a 1st or two that would be the much more preferred route. I don't think you go trading away a blue chip 6'3 dman who's physical, can provide offense, and is a right hand shot for a 2 year run when your best players are all under 25.
We have no idea how long the window stays open. For the window to be open this season the Caps need what they don't have, which is a 1st pair defenseman with the experience on the blue line to lead an otherwise young defense to that level.

If McPhee does not make that kind of move, when does the Caps window open? How much experience do Alzner and Carlson need to give the Caps still young defense the overall experiece to open the window?

It won't be next year. Probably not for three of four seasons. Even then the Caps won't have a single defenseman that can bring to kind of Cup level experience along with top of the lineup talent that Pronger does now.

What Pronger brings now or whenever is something you can't get through the draft. Look at SJ. They have had a lot of good young D in there, but there bounce to the top came with Dan Boyle and Rob Blake.

Again, the suggestion is that the Caps can afford to part with one of their top prospects to get a player like Pronger. Not all of them. Not gutting their system. Not mortgaging their future.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote