View Single Post
Old
08-16-2004, 08:44 AM
NYR469

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
and that much salary is what?? about 4mill or so...can u let me know, when they(carolina) been looking to acquire allsion who will easily cost 3.5-4 mill with bonuses most likely. so do u really kow what u are saying? money is obviousley not that big of a deal for one player. like i said allison will cost almost the same amount. and if u read my post right i said NYR PAYS 1/2 THE SALARY, did u see that?
first there is a HUGE difference between paying $3.5 mil for a #1 center and paying $4.5 mil for a checking center...

second, why would any team trade away 2 young players so they can pay holik $4.5 mil, when they could sign allison for virtually the same $$ and keep the 2 kids making the team significantly better than it would be after making this deal...

third, even if the rangers pay 100% of holik's salary, it is almost certain that if there is any kind of cap the full amount would count against carolina's payroll...so it might only cost them $4.5 mil but it would still be a $9 mil hit against the cap

and why would the rangers trade arguably their only veteran leader for another 2nd line center and a fringe player and then throw in $$ on top of that?

imo this deal makes little sense for the rangers and makes absolutely no sense for carolina...imo both sides are better off not making this deal