View Single Post
Old
08-18-2004, 02:46 AM
Thomas

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille
He's a solid all around guy. But I see NOTHING that makes him awesome.

I might be in the minority, but I seriously think he will have trouble becomming this great #1/2 that people are expecting him to be. He has average hockey sense. Average skating (very questionable mobility in my eyes). For his size he doesn't play very mean or even that agressive. He doesn't really clear the crease.

But his offense is good for a big man. He has a wicked shot and a good outlet pass.
I dont think he will ever become a #1 defenseman, and maybe never a #2 defenseman by definition. But I do think he will be a good physical defensive defenseman that can complement a more offensive minded defenseman in a #2 role. I see Markov as the future #1 defenseman of the Montreal Canadiens, with Komisarek being the stay at home type hes paired with.

I dont agree with his lack of mobility, I believe hes a good skater for someone his size, but I do agree with his average hockey sense. He still needs work on his positional play in the defensive zone, and his decision making needs work. He started showing his aggresive side during the playoffs, though I had thought him a gentle giant before then. I expect that physical play to improve next season, and he will hopefully start showing signs of that solid crease clearing defenseman.

As for the proposal, it makes no sense for the Habs. We only have 3 NHL right defenseman, one of them being Patrice Brisebois who will most likely be gone within a few years, and a decent defenseman in Craig Rivet. The Habs have very few good young defenseman, and have an overload of young offensive talents (prospects). I see the Habs trading a forward prospect for a defenseman rather than the other way around. Theres also the fact that center is our deepest position having Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk and Begin at the NHL level and Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, Urquhart, Lapierre, Locke etc as prospects with possible NHL futures.