View Single Post
Old
02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Chad_

vCash: 500
Here's an interesting note on Steve Mason and the Stars original interest in the kid. The quote is from former Blue Jackets GM Doug McLean.
Quote:
"Don Boyd is from London [Ontario]," MacLean said. "So he started talking to me about this kid named Steve Mason. He only played 12 games in London [OHL] that year. He played some junior B, as well. So, we sent Rick Wamsley in there to watch him practice, and Boyd caught him as much as he could. So we went to the draft that year; it wasn't a great draft, and we had the draft coming to Columbus the next year, and I wanted to add an extra pick for that.

"Boyd, Paul Castron [on the scouting staff at the time, director of amateur scouting for the Jackets today] and Wamsley guaranteed me we'd get Mason with the third pick because not a lot of people knew him at the time. So I traded my second pick and got that extra pick for the draft in Columbus, just to make it a little more exciting for the home fans in 2007, although it didn't matter since I got fired anyway [laughs]. "Anyway, we moved down and we got him with the third pick. Since then, I heard from Tim Bernhardt [Stars director of amateur scouting] in Dallas, and he said they were devastated because they were going to take him with their third pick."
Mason was picked in the third round, pick number 69. The Stars next pick was the 90th overall in the third, and the team drafted Aaron Snow.

Who knows if Mason would have lasted to pick 90, but only one other goalie was picked between the two picks after Mason. According to McLean, he knows of two other teams interested in Mason, including one team picking right behind them in the third round.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote