View Single Post
Old
08-18-2004, 07:08 PM
KFC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Umm I don't think the problems now are the result of the Edmonton's and the Calgary's of the NHL overspending. It's the result of the Rangers, the Wings, and others overspending.

The problem also is that the scales of economy isn't balanced.

It's easy for an Edmonton to say to "we aren't paying that" and what is forgotten is that teams have.

But it's not that simple. It means you are constantly rebuilding, getting nowhere and running yourself into the ground just to stay at .500

The average fan also doesn't want to see the AHL allstars at the ticket prices they pay.

Hockey just doesn't have the income to pay what it is paying right now.

The bottom line is that there is always a big market team out there that will wreck the salary structure. I mean cmon we just gave Michael Freakin Nylander 3 million dollars? Why, because we could and we don't care.

If we want a league where the playoffs are determined by who can stay in business and now who can reach the cup, then by all means leave a cap or luxury tax out. But hockey needs a structure right now. There are just too many teams losing money, and we're not just talking about Canadian teams. The san jose sharks are a prime example and they have great crowds.

I agree the devils lost money last season