View Single Post
Old
02-17-2009, 04:39 PM
kexodusc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
The "regionals" thread was merged with this one so this post is an awkward location. Anyhow, with regular season winding up out east and most spots decided out west, here's what it would look like for 2009, based on regular season standings:

HOST:
#1 Host
#8 CW 3rd
#9 AUS 3rd
#16 OUA 7th

WEST:
#2 CW winner
#7 AUS runner-up
#10 OUA 3rd
#15 OUA 6th

EAST:
#3 AUS winner
#6 OUA runner-up
#11 CW 4th
#14 OUA 5th

CENTRAL:
#4 OUA winner
#5 CW runner-up
#12 OUA 4th
#13 AUS 4th

HOST:
#1 LAKEHEAD
#8 MANITOBA
#9 MONCTON
#16 YORK

WEST:
#2 ALBERTA
#7 ST. MARY'S
#10 WESTERN ONTARIO
#15 CONCORDIA

EAST:
#3 NEW BRUNSWICK
#6 UQTR
#11 LETHBRIDGE
#14 MCGILL

CENTRAL:
#4 WILFRID LAURIER
#5 SASKATCHEWAN
#12 WATERLOO
#13 ST FRANCIS-XAVIER
Hey Hollywood, that's pretty neat to see. Wow. Alberta and SMU get to meet in the West and kick the crap out of each other right away - that could very easily be the CIS final this year. That hypothetical West pool looks tough, so does the Central.

It'd be interesting. I'd love to see some form of crossover, and I'm a big fan of playoffs to determine championships but for hockey but if we could overcome the travel/student obstacles that always seem to get tossed out there, I could live with something like this.

Though I'm sure if I were an Alberta or Saint Mary's fan I'd be crying foul, proving no system will be universally loved. I still believe what we have now is the best imperfect solution on the table, all things considered.

Would these be played in addition to conference playoffs or replace them? I wouldn't want to give up the conference playoffs. We could have CIS hockey into April.

kexodusc is offline   Reply With Quote