View Single Post
Old
02-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Line View Post
I've got a problem with getting the puck off the ice with shots.
Wrist slots i can get it to fly although with not much power.
With slap shots i have the power behind the shot but it stays on the ice.
Any help is appreciated
There are a lot of variables to this so it is probably nearly impossible to explain this over the internet. Just practicing and emulating what you see people do will help you the most. I remember asking the same question when I was young and it took many days of practicing for me to get good at it. You don't have to go to the rink if you have a nice patch of concrete like a driveway. Practice swinging softly and just trying to get the puck to lift. Don't try and kill it at first. Once you get better at lifting, keep swing harder to and focus on controlling it.

I'd suggest getting a stick with a nice heal curve. The blade will look almost like a 2 or 3 iron (golf club). It makes it much easier to lift the puck with that kind of a blade because if you hit the blade flat on the ice, it will basically scoop the puck up for you like a golf club would.

Another thing to do is experiment with different flex sticks (depending on your age & weight). I know when I was really young, using a stick that had a bit of flex helped me get some power on the shot. Once I got better at shooting, the flex was too much and I started using a much stiffer stick.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote