View Single Post
Old
02-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Well, I would assume the following:

- Be exceptionally good at sharpening skates. As in, diagnose what a player is talking/complaining about, and know exactly what needs to be done. Basically, know your ****, and know what needs to be done, during a game if a player is complaining about an edge being too grippy I'm sure he won't be happy if it takes you 5 times to get it right.

- Know how to work with fabrics. By that, I mean cleaning, conditioning, and most importantly, stitching and sewing. Things rip/break, and it's easier to repair than to replace and break back in.

- Have incredible organizational/memory skills. Remember how each player likes their skates, packing and unpacking, bulk cleaning, who's is who's, etc are all part of the game.

- Know all different types of equipment. If a player doesn't like the feel of a certain piece of equipment, know and understand how different companies run sizes and fits to get the players comfortable.

- Be sociable. Let's face it, you're a a bit at the bottom of the totem pole, you really have no room to be an *******. Plus, if the players like you, and you know your stuff and take car of them, it's like guaranteeing you won't get fired.

I'm sure there's more, and others will chime in, but it's not easy. That said, if I could, or had the ability too, become an equipment guy for an NHL team, I'd drop out of school to do so. I'd love to do it, even at other levels.
that's basically what it's about.

having a local team to start with is a big help. Working at a hockey shop will help you get the basics down. If you can sharpen their skates well it goes a long way to earning their trust. Nobody is going to trust an EQM that gives them uneven edges or the wrong hollow.

research skills help too. You'll be asked to price things out at one time or another. Being able to find the best prices can't hurt.

Think outside the box to find solutions. At the lower levels you aren't going to have the resources available to you that an NHL team has. If something breaks and you don't have the right mechanism or material to fix it properly then FIGURE IT OUT!

Being attentive to the players and communicating with them and the coaching staff are the biggest parts of the job.

That and be willing to sacrifice weekends, sleep, and holidays. The pay is not great, but it's not the worst in the world. If you're passionate about hockey it might be up your alley.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote