View Single Post
Old
02-18-2009, 04:29 PM
forbs02
Blergh

vCash: 500
I'm currently an equipment manager for a DI hockey team. I started out when I was in college working as the skate sharpener for my team (I played DIII). Once I was out of school I started working in a hockey shop. While there I learned a ton about repair, fitting, and maintenance.

If you are in college already I would suggest talking to the current equipment managers and seeing if they have any student openings. You will start with the crappy work like laundry and folding but eventually you will be given more responsibilities.

If you are still in high school you should think about getting a job in a shop. You can learn a lot there.

I will agree with the above in that it is a thankless job. You work a ton of hours and rarely have days off in season. It gets worse the higher level you go because of all the additional travel. Good teams don't travel light, they bring a ton of stuff with them, all of which you are responsible for. It's nice at the collegiate level because you can assign extra baggage to underclassmen. I'm not sure that flys with the pros.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote