View Single Post
Old
02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Ciccarelli

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
A major problem with Slovak Extraliga is that the quality of teams really drops off after the top teams. That being said, Slovakia doesn't have as much money as Germany or Switzerland, but overall I would say they have better coaching.
What really confuses me about the Extraligas (both Czech and Slovakian) is that neither of those two really use any foreigners. Slovak teams have some czechs and Czech teams have some slovaks but no Northern Europeans or North Americans. Having foreign players don't make the clubs automatically better but every team having a couple of guys like Shawn Bates (Sm-liiga) and Niko Dimitrakos (Elitserien) sure wouldn't make the leagues worse. I don't mean they should make the league like DEL (more foreigners than german players...) but maybe have a cap of 3 foreign players per team.

Btw. I disagree about the part where you said budgets are the best way to compare leagues. Money is of course a big factor but it isn't everything. A well scouted team with budget of 2mil€ easily beats one with a 4mil€ budget if the team has been put together by looking at stats at HockeyDB.com (bit of exaggeration here ofcourse, but you get the point). Salzburg is a rather wealthy club team in European standard still they can't lure top level talent becose of the fact that the Austrian league isn't highly respected at all. Elitserien team offering 200k€ against Austrian team offering 200k€; 95% of the time the player would chose the Elitserien team. Mostly due two facts; 1. more competitive league 2. a lot better chance to bounce back to the NHL (or even get a chance to do so)

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote