View Single Post
Old
02-24-2009, 09:49 AM
solo16

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearharb View Post
To BUF:

Valterri Filppula (3,000,000 4 yrs remaining)
Chris Osgood (1.4m 2yrs remaining)

4.4m salary

To DET:

Chris Butler (850,000 2yrs remaining RFA)
Jochen Hecht (3.5 3yrs remaining)
1st in '09

4.35m salary

Both teams will keep comparable payrolls. Butler is being groomed to be a Top 4 defenseman in BUF right now and would fit in nicely once Lidstrom retires. Hecht is the type of defensive forward that would thrive playing with Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

Filppula will become the Sabres 3rd center behind Roy and Connolly allowing Gaustad to move back into a checking role, which suits him better. If Connolly leaves via FA this summer Filppula would help ease the pain at center. Osgood would come in and take over immediately until Miller can return to action. Having a goalie with playoff experience is a major plus, but this also leaves Detroit with Conklin/Howard for their playoff push.
This is interesting on a few levels. First youd have to switch Butler with Brennan. Detroits defensive crops are a bit packed for next year and we need defensemen with AHL elgibility for another year or two.

Next year after chelios retires we will already have 8 NHL defensemen... With arguably our best prospect Kindl still in the AHL. So we need someone with 1-3 years of ahl eligibility ideally.

IMO Hetch is a downgrade on Filppula. He is slightly better this year i geuss but filp has the better contract and is the better "defensive forward". Hetch brings the experience. The 1st obviously compensates for this a bit. Osgood i dunno what his value is but its almost a bit of a salary dump. Id think ud have to take a bit of cap hit back. (as Howard/Conklin) is not the answer. And wed then sign a goalie.

If Hetch hit more and blocked more shots hed be ideal but he appears to be more of what we have plenty of... two way responsible players.

Kotalik would probably be the best fit for detroit.

Kotalik
1st
Brennan

Filpulla
Osgood
Meech/Lebda

OFC this only makes sense if u think Osgood has value. Im torn. On one hand i think hes garbage on the other in the right situation obviously he can win you a cup.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote