Thread: News Article: Chris Drury quote
View Single Post
Old
02-24-2009, 10:30 AM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
why is this team one of the best PK teams in the league?
I will give him credit for that. he and Polino have done a great job here.

Quote:
Why has this team been one of the better goals against teams in the league the last few seasons?
Good defensive strategy, and a great goaltender tend to do that. But yes Renney deserves credit here as well. But at what cost to offense and a better team is what I question.

Quote:
I think we're also forgetting that Renney was the coach when Prucha scored 30 goals. He was also the coach when he scored 22 goals in a sophomore season taht saw his quality PP time decrease dramatically.
And that is the problem, He doesn't play players to their strengths. he doesn't mold gameplans around players. He tries to Jam players in a gameplan. There was absolutely no reason for Prucha to lose all PP time. None. and I am not a prucha defender.

Quote:
Voros had doubled his career goals by December.
And he has done nothing else since the first 9 games of the season. Ever hear of luck. Renney had Nothing to do w/ voros scoring, besides actually giving him a shot. Now Voros has sucked for 4 months yet still plays alot and is more of a detriment to the team than help. Wanna give renney credit for his horrible play as well? I'm not giving renney any credit for him scoring, nor am i detracting renney for Voros' bad play b/c that is what voros is. I am going to detract renney for playing him so god damn much though.

Quote:
Girardi scored 10 goals in the NHL last season...two more than his AHL career high, and two more than his OHL career high..
we have no other NHL coach to compare him too. If Girardi pots 15 next year will you say that Renney held him back? This is inconclusive at best. Again Girardi has done nothing offensively since the beginning of the year as well, and his defense has gotten worse. Give Renney credit for that as well i guess.

Quote:
Rozy had 10 goals and 13 goals (and 8 this season); prior career high was 9 (followed by 4).
Wasn't he always plagued by injuries. Plus he was just entering his prime. Add on top of that getting top PP minutes (which I don't believe he ever got), and playing w/ Jagr and its not hard to figure out why his #'s are up.

Quote:
Shanny scored 29 goals as a 38 year old - despite getting bis head rocked and missing some time.
Again, Renney also wore him out by playing him way too much. Shanny also is a HOF, who did things his way b/c he knows how to play, and has played his style for his career. And b/c renney overused him he was basically invisible during the second half and PO's.

Quote:
Cally's on pace for 14 ES goals - not too shabby for a guy many thought would be a 3/4 liner.
he is a second year player. We expect his #'s to go up, and not down. Cally has a very good work ethic that he brought to the NHL. Lets see how much he can score playing for an offensive minded coach. If he starts scoring alot more will you change your tune to Renney was holding him back?

Quote:
Drury had his third best season goal-scoring wise in his 9 year career, despite playing extensively with the rookie Dawes and the rookie Callahan.
And this is renney how? Especially when the rest of the team was having scoring problems, and Jagr having a career low. Wanna give that credit to Renney? Also half his goals came on the PP when he was not playing w/ Rookies. In fact exactly half his points came on the PP.

Quote:
Straka was left for dead, but was revived; ditto Nylander. Obviously Jagr had a lot to do with that, but why weren't these guys stifled in the system? I think it's because the coach had confidence in them to play their game, whereas with the others, he did not.
You are kidding right? Nylander and Straka battled injuries for most of their careers, that is why teams didn't pick them up. Both were very talented players. Renney had absolutely nothing to do w/ their health. Both stayed healthy and was able to basically put up what they should have put up comparing them their past. the only big difference was they were healthy.

Quote:
I get your point - and I don't totally disagree with it. But I can't sit here and say with a lot of confidence that the results would've been significantly better. I cannot say that there would be 20 more goals for and not 15-20 more goals against. I agree that a often times Renney has a strange sense for the word "balance", and that his lineups made me scratch my head, and that his in-game coaching was not nearly as good as his preparation, but his strategy was to keep the team in the game, work hard and get the lucky bounce to win. With this crew, perhaps that's the right strategy. It does fall apart when they don't work hard, however. Perhaps Torts will make it easier - implement a system in which they do not have to work hard.
Listen if we play more aggressive under Renney and score say 20 goals, but conversely give up 19 more we are still 1 goal better off than we were previously. He didn't play players to their strengths, and tried to jame them into what he wanted them to be, and not what they are.

he had a good strategy, and would have been the uber coach in the old NHL or clutching and grabbing. But this game is built on speed and attacking now, and he never embraced it. he was too passive, and defensive minded. I'm glad he is gone, and look forward to the new regime, and by the sound of some key players on the Rangers so are they. To me our future just got brighter.

Now if only that bumbling idiot in Sather gets canned.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote