Thread: News Article: Chris Drury quote
View Single Post
Old
02-24-2009, 12:42 PM
NYR94

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
As of now, from my point of view, the leadership void left by the departures of Jagr, Straka, Shanahan and even Avery to an extent (though his is more of firing up/energizing type rather than giving direction) has yet to be filled. Now it's still possible that Drury & Gomez mature into this role as the roster and playing style suit them better, but if that doesn't happen the team might have to bring some veteran players strong in leadership (and probably vocal to contrast Drury who is more of an "on the ice" type) in through free agency or trade. If they can clear cap room. I think it was naive of me to think players would look at Gomez & Drury the same way they would Shanahan and Jagr. Players need to earn the respect of their peers and Gomez & Drury haven't produced enough this season to really command that type of attention.

That quote from Sather makes Avery sound like a sure thing. Will he respect the leadership on this current Rangers team now? He sure didn't listen to anyone in Dallas.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote