View Single Post
Old
02-24-2009, 06:03 PM
HockeyBurd*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
This is how Tortorella described it in todays interviews:

The fact that he descibes it as "our D couldn't handle it" really scares me. Because I haven't seen any D in this league who can stand up a Zach Parise, Michael Nylander or any of the talented players in this league at their own blueline on a regular basis. Its just not happening anywhere, by anyone. Phaneuf isn't able to do it, Lidström isn't able to do it, Pronger isn't able to do it. Not on a regular basis. The game have changed.
I always enjoy your posts. You have a very good understanding of the game and make very insightful observations. And I enjoyed this brief description.

However, where I will disagree with you a little is with your interpretation of Tortorella's comments with regard to his defenseman in Tampa not being able to handle it. I don't draw the conclusion that he thinks they couldn't handle it but here the defenseman will be able to handle it. At least I'm not making that assumption.

The way I interpret it is that he was too late in Tampa in making the adjustments to alleviate the frequency of the pressure on those defenseman without support. I assume this also means that he does have the ideas on how he intends to make those adjustments here.

I can't predict what the teams results will be like playing with an aggressive attack given their forwards. I can however predict that it will be far more enjoyable to watch, at least for me.

Lundqvist hasn't really appeared, at least in my eyes, to stand up well to the non-shootout breakaways and oddman rushes generated off of turnovers. So that's going to be interesting to watch.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote