Old
02-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Schneider's cap hit is prorated. Its 1,6 mil, and if the Habs wish so, they can put him over Bouillon's cap space. Leaving all the extra cap space of Lang to another player.

I was surprised to learn recently that traded contracts are prorated, but that the cap hit on a daily basis for the whole team is not. So Lang's cap hit of 4 mil is not prorated for the number of games he had left or the number of games he will miss. They calculate the cap at each game, on a yearly salary cap hit, so when we acquire a player like Schneider, only his prorated cap hit is included in this, but when a player like Lang who is on the team, is injured, they add his entire salary as an extra to the cap, but only one player can take up that amount, which at this time of the year, most prorated contract, even Ovechkin, wouldn't even take up completely.
Are you certain of this Ozy? Not that I'm doubting you, but logically, it wouldn't make much sense. You are replacing apples with oranges. I'm under the impression that you can replace Lang's 4M annual salary with another guy who has up to a 4M annual salary, and not replace Lang's 4M with a guy whose prorated amount is up to 4M. I could be wrong, I just always assumed it was like that, and that is how it makes sense in my mind.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote