View Single Post
Old
08-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja
Its not sarcasm that needs to be read into your post.. its cluelessness.

Unproven means unproven, it doesn't mean bad. YOu'd think people on the island would have learned that with Bertuzzi, Chara, and Luongo. You don't trade 20 year old kids, with a unique skill set- just because you can. Can I ask you, how many 6'5" dmen The Islanders have that has a similiar shot to Adrian Aucoin's? Then I ask you do you trade that person for a good, but not great player?

We've tried that in Chicago... we've tried it for a long time. And I for one, am glad that we are sticking with a youth movement. That doesn't mean you never trade youngsters- it means you trade the ones you feel are replaceable. Babchuk is not. Steve McCarthy... may be. Igor Radulov... may be.

Would you expect us to trade Barker for Hamerlik? Barker hasn't proven anything either.

-fullmetalninja
There is no reason to be so hostile. Did you really need to refer to that poster as "clueless?"

Trottier's point was a reasonable one. Several of you were talking about Babchuck as if he was some sort of sure thing. He is not. In fact, I'd say that there is a better than even chance that he'll never be a top four in the NHL. I also recall Hawk fans telling us that Steve McCarthy was a sure fire number one, the next high scoring offensive dman in the NHL. I can remember hearing similar lofty claims about Dan Cleary (who many of you projected as a future 30 goal scorer) and Mikhail Yakubov. Some of those players will turn out, some will not. The bottom line is that a guy like Babchuk may or may not develop and the projections in this thread are ambitious to say the least. If he turns out to be half the player that Aucoin or Hamrlik is right now, you are going to be lucky. If I was a betting man (and I never want to bet on the development of youngsters), I'd guess that he is not going to make that kind of impact.

Now, that is not to say that I think it would make any sense whatsoever for the Hawks to make this deal. IMO, the Hawks have got an excellent young core and they should build around it and patiently develop their youngsters. Trading away prospects for a expensive vet who is close to UFA status would be a very bad move for Chicago. But, the reality is that a number of those prospects you are so excited about will not work out at all.