View Single Post
Old
02-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
No - that's great. Thanks dude. I appreciate your insightful response.

Problem is that you are not addressing my point......I reiterate - read slowly - why did Philly give the guy away for nothing if he is so good? Why could they not have at least got a 7th round pick or something for him?

If the guy is such a 'stud' why was he only able to garner a 1 year deal at 1 million as a UFA after last year.

Cmon people....slow down here.
Knee-jerk reaction by Flyers management in my opinion. They want Briere back in the line-up in a bad way, and he was slotted to return tonight in Montreal. The league would have forced them to move these salaries to activate Briere.

Had they been able to I'm sure Philly would have preferred to keep the guy, but we operate in a cap-based league.

Vaananen is guy a who has played full, solid seasons in the NHL, and at only 28 years of age is relatively young as well. I remember disliking him in Colorado due to how punishing he was down low, and in the corners.

Given - puck movement, and offensive creativity are not his strong suits, but I'd argue in recent games (especially when Salo is out) the Canucks have needed a good shot-blocker and PK defenseman just as much as an offensively creative one.

Honestly, would you rather give up a 2nd rounder for a guy like Carney or Sopel as opposed to picking up Vaananen for nothing.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote