View Single Post
Old
02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengay View Post
So essentially then you are arguing that Vaananen was put on waivers because Paul Holmgren is a completely inept GM? Holmgren could not see the return of Briere coming? He could not maybe put this guy on the block a couple of weeks before Briere is set to come back and snag something for him?

All I am saying is that people here are talking about the guy like he is a total stud - a steal - a physical hard hitting solid big d-man that solidifies our back end.

If he is what everyone is saying, I doubt Philly would have picked him as the guy to dump and further, I doubt 1/2 the league would have passed on a chance to have him at a million per.
No I'm arguing he was put on waivers because we play in a league with a hard cap. Sometimes moves like this are necessary even if you're a good GM.

He's a steal for us in our current situation. Is he a valuable asset to a rebuilding team or a seller? Not necessarily. And you're forgetting these teams account for most of the squads under us in the waiver order. Additionally, he isn't a need for every team. Vaananen is a specific player, with specific strengths who happens to fit into our line-up and give us greater depth. Not every team has the same needs, the same cap space, and the same room to add additional contracts. Like I said, I was surprised Vaananen fell to us in the waiver line, but considering the wide variety of situations that teams are dealing with under the cap it isn't totally insane to think a few teams would have liked to have him, but teir situation prevented it from happening.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote