Thread: Proposal: Rangers/Leafs
View Single Post
Old
02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Oh okay, so you're talking about a full-on rebuild. That makes more sense to me.
Yes--the Rangers have no cap room and truthfully need 5 or 6 pieces to be a real contender. The only arguably elite player is Lundquvist. Our forwards are too small, are not getting to the net. We don't have a guy who can really finish and to be honest Kaberle's mobility and puck movement would be great but without real goal scoring threats what's it worth? They take a lot of unscreened and/or long range shots. At the beginning of the year they found ways to win but they've never really broken out of the goal scoring rut--Naslund leads the team with 19, Zherdev has 16 and I can't remember when he scored the last one. Drury hasn't scored a goal in 17 games. Now we find ways to lose. Not tough enough on the back end either.

So while Kaberle would definitely be an upgrade over Rozsival or Redden--we also need a legit finisher, at least two big mucker and grinder forwards with some skill and a no nonsense defender also with some skill.

Looking at Del Zotto and Sanguinetti. Del Zotto wowed everyone in training camp. Played two preseason games and held up in his own end well and moved the puck on the pwp as well any of the veterans. He may need to put on a few more pounds but he has a stocky frame. He has a shot next year depending on what direction the Rangers go in vis-a-vis free agency. Sanguinetti also has a shot--is a real good puck mover with a great shot but not very solid in his own end. As I stated somewhere above I expect the Rangers to be choosing between 11 and 16 (15 and 16 means they sneak into the playoffs) and am hoping that someone like Kassian is available.

That's my assessment anyway--others are more optimistic. But yeah IMO we need to rebuild.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote