View Single Post
Old
02-28-2009, 09:22 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I don't disagree with any of your points really, I'm just trying to explain the organization's philosophy.

Alberts hits guys and is a lot more physical than any of our other d-man. Vaananen is basically a slightly less talented Ryan Parent clone.

I think the organization wanted to keep some physicality on the blue line and decided to let Ossi go instead.

Do I agree with letting go of Ossi over Alberts? Not sure. My issue was more with people crying over the fact that we didn't get compensation which wasn't very likely to happen.
Thats fine. It would be one thing if he just wasnt performing, fine.....However, it is clearly a salary dump and there are other dmen on the team that would make much more sense to dump based on their salary. If Jones is now included in some sort of trade for a better dman fine....if not, I dont like it. You cant have too many steady stay at home dman and we really only have one now and he is very young.

Dont forget, even if some dont think Vaananen has outplayed Alberts by much, Vaananen was facing top opposition, Alberts has been on the 3rd pairing all year.

It obviously wont make or break the team, but it is just another in a string of personnel decisions that are making me question that this GM/coach can get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1216 View Post
I did. Your upset because Holmgren waived everyones new favorite " Kukkonen " in Vaananan. Hate to break it to you but he isn't very good.

I think the Flyers head coach and GM know who will bring more to their club then you. Alberts is better then Vaananan.

Lupul's deal isnt awful as some make it out to be. 4 M for a 20 goal scorer / 45 point player who will go through the prime of his career and may add more. His new deal doesn't kick in until next year. It has NO BALANCE on the cap this year.

Once again the Jones deal isn't THAT bad. He makes a shade under 3M. He is on the PP and is a solid player. He is everyone's new scapegoat for some reason. Yes he does make mistakes but who doesn't. He is a solid NHL D-man and gets paid like it.

That said Holmgren isnt perfect. The Briere deal is too long and yes he did overpay for Jones. That said the man turned the franchise around and has made numerous great trades. He has my respect and support until he completely ****s up.
No you didnt....If you did, you would have noticed I had two posts and my thought that I threw out there wasnt a result of simply the Vaananen move but all moves made by Homer.

To compare Kukkonen and Vaananen shows your ignorance. Vaananen became a top 4 dman in Phoenix and then was a top 4 dman in Colorado and was on the top pairing here. How does that compare to Kukkonen?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote