Old
03-01-2009, 10:19 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Here's the thing I don't understand. Both Powe and Giroux are playing great and should stay up. With Timonen not playing, Briere didn't play Friday. Why didn't the Flyers send him to the Phantoms for a rehab assignment? He could have had games on Friday and Saturday, and rehabbed until Timonen was back. I just feel bad, Giroux's been playing great hockey. I understand Briere is Briere, but to take a leap on him on his first game back and dumping Giroux in the process just doesn't seem like a smart move.
The Flyers had Briere in the AHL a few weeks back and it didn't work out too successfully. I wonder, too, if the NHL looked into the matter as was stated in one article "NHL has their eyes on the Flyers (or something to that effect)."

For cap reasons, this article spells out the numbers (assuming it is correct which isn't always the case):

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art.../1017/sports04
Quote:

But to make room for Briere's exorbitant salary, the Flyers were forced to demote promising right wing Claude Giroux ($473,000 cap hit) and depth defenseman Lasse Kukkonen ($875,000) to the Phantoms.

This just 24 hours after seeing center Glen Metropolit (two years, $2 million) and defenseman Ossi Vaananen (one year, $1 million) claimed off waivers by the Montreal Canadiens and Vancouver Canucks, respectively.

"It's very disappointing," Flyers left wing Scottie Upshall said. "We had two key guys lost due to the business side of hockey.

"You try to act like it has no effect on the dressing room, but it definitely does. You're losing two of your buddies, your teammates, and you're not getting anything in return. We're excited about getting Danny back, there's no question about that. But the new CBA was put in place for that reason, and we're on the side where we had to make moves."

And the Flyers aren't out of the woods yet. In fact, to become salary-cap compliant for today's game they will dress Phantoms defenseman Nate Guenin against the Devils only because his $585,000 salary is significantly less than Kukkonen's. Guenin has not played a game for the Flyers all season.

With all due respect to Guenin and recent call-up Jared Ross ($185,000), the Flyers are a much better team with Giroux and Kukkonen in the lineup.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote