View Single Post
Old
03-02-2009, 01:16 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
I've noticed many players grades have fallen unnecessarily, not just with the Blues prospects, but several teams prospects since the spring rankings have begun rolling out. I don't get it.
My guess is that they decided to edit more strictly to perform even more as a news source and even less as a fanzine. There were some fairly imbalanced ratings before and an overall reduction of ratings is part of leveling the playing field.

Also, I kinda got the impression that the number-letter grading system has shifted a little bit. Before, number was supposed to represent an absolute ceiling and letter was likelihood to hit that ceiling. Maybe that's the way it's still supposed to be, but I just get this feeling of a shift towards both the number and letter scoring likelihoods - with the number attempting to target the likeliest development path and the letter indicating how certain that is.

So, before a 7C would have been a second-liner/second-pairing/journeyman goaltender at best AND sort of a longshot to reach that potential on top of it. Now, a 7C seems more like a project with serious untapped potential, who could go swing to a 5 or a 9, but 7 is the likeliest path, and a C is just how clear/foggy the future is for that guy.

Maybe that's not the editing standard. But while I can't put my finger on it, it doesn't seem like the system is the same as it was just a few years ago - both in standards (for the better) and in design (no real opinion, that is even if it's actually any different).

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote