View Single Post
Old
03-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Well, I'm here to eat some crow. But I will also clarify my position. My original position was that I didn't think Schneider was the answer, but that I would give him a chance; regardless, I felt as though Gainey had overpaid.

Suffice to say I think Schneider's blown everyone away thus far. He hasn't been the sole reason for our success, but I think it would be foolish to ignore the tremendous impact he has had on our powerplay. So I was wrong to characterise the deal as one of desperation, though I doubt even Gainey thought he was getting this much out of Schneider.

Nonetheless, in terms of addressing needs and team weaknesses, I think Gainey did a tremendous job with this deal. Schneider is doing exactly what we want (and more) and he's filling a need the team we desperately needed. This is what you want your GMs to do, and kudos to Gainey for making this happen.

That being said, I still think he overpaid, especially if you look at the recent deal for Havelid. Havelid is not only a superior player to Schneider but he also has a more manageable contract, which should lead people to believe that he carries higher value. Unless Salmela is truly a diamond in the rough, NJ filled a need for next to nothing. Havelid wouldn't fill the PP need on our team, so I can understand Gainey not pursuing him, but I still think that when you look at both deals Montreal paid a significantly higher price to address a weakness than NJ did.

Still, all in all I'm still very pleased with what Schneider has brought to this team.
Havelid is a much different kind of dman than Schneider. A better example would be to look at what ottawa gave up for Campoli.