Thread: Sportsnet: Smyth and Edmonton
View Single Post
Old
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I would say all Oiler fans have a pretty good idea of what he brings to the table. And I didn't say I didn't like him, or that he isn't a valuable player. But he is overpaid big time. You can take the year he's having this year, compare it to his salary for this year, and say, "well, 6.25 is a little pricey for what you get from him, but I'm OK with that."

But can you say that about 34 yr old Smyth making 6.25? 35yr old? 36?

I don't know for sure if he'll be injured in the future. Maybe he'll put together an iron man streak and make me look like a total idiot. But if you're a Vegas odds maker (taking his history of lower body injuries into account), you probably don't like the odds of that iron man streak.

You can piss on Penner all you want (god knows every Oil fan has, and deservedly so), but the thing his contract has going is time. If 27 is the consensus beginning of a players prime, well he hasn't got there yet. Has he shown any promise to get excited about - no. But the things he lacks can be acquired (conditioning, determination), he's just making it close to impossible to believe he will.

Glad you're happy with Smyth, I think Oil fans consider themselves better off waiting for Penner to grow up than paying a guy who treats his body like Gumby 6.25 for half a year to get continually crushed coming down the wing.
I'm sick of Oiler fans talking about Smyth's injury history when they have their own injury prone guys like Souray to worry about. How many 82 game seasons does he have? Zero. Smyth has 4.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote