Thread: Skate Issue
View Single Post
Old
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
I have been doing well in my skating class but am having an issue that may be related to my skate. Whenever I turn to my left or try to learn to cross my right foot over my left. That left skate is constantly wanting to start shaving ice rather than just go along with what I am doing. Especially the rear half of the blade. The skates have only been on the ice for a few hours.

Is it possible that the skate was not sharpened correctly? Or Is it more likely that I am doing something wrong?
Dude, you don't know how many skates I sharpen because some kid, placed the skate in the jig and just sharpened them without actually placing a dime across both edges to see if the edges are even. If it tilts to one side, you have a problem.

Now, these days we use a tool that clamps on the blade that has a graduated scale that tells us the level of the edges. But in the old days, you stick a dime or penny and it does the same job. Try it...it works.

Place one at both ends to see it the edges are level. If they are not, have them resharpen then for free.

Plus, in order to see if you have a edge, just place your thumb nail on the edge and see if it bits or scraps the nail. If it does, it sharp. Test the blade down the length on the blade on both sides. This will tell you if they need sharpening or not.

Also, I recommend you get a 3/8 inch hollow. This will help you with those cross overs.

Hope this helped
Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 03-04-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote