View Single Post
Old
03-04-2009, 08:08 PM
CharlieGirl
Go Rangers Go

vCash: 500
I've had time to think about this and calm down (the air was blue in my car today when I heard it). I hate this deal. For a few reasons.

Carcillo isn't an upgrade from Upshall and saves a whopping $400K. Plus it cost a 2nd rounder. I wouldn't have been happy with Upshall for Carcillo straight up, but tossing in a pick is ridiculous. This is a 25 year old player who couldn't crack the top 6 on a team full of 19 and 20 year olds. And he never scored a PPG in the OHL.

I have a bigger concern about the chemistry. Holmgren has done a great job building a core group of young guys who genuinely like each other, and stand up for one another on the ice. Upshall was a key part of that group of players that hung out together in the offseason and on off days. From everything I've ever heard about Carcillo, he's not that kind of player.

And the last thing the Flyers need is a penalty machine. Flyers fans complain about the dumb penalties Hartnell takes. Carcillo makes Hartnell look like an amateur.

So the Flyers got a 3rd line player who can't slide into an upper line in a pinch, takes a ton of stupid penalties, scores less than Upshall, isn't a team player, and does squat for the salary cap issues.

Oh, and then there's those two major suspensions he received in the OHL, which is why he only played 20 games in his last year in the league. A 15 gamer and a 26 gamer - both for crosschecks to the face/head - one target was a rookie. If you don't think Carter, Richards, and Parent don't know about this guy, you're dreaming. He's crap.

Yay.