View Single Post
Old
03-04-2009, 11:51 PM
vopatsrash

vCash: 500
I still donít think the Forsberg trade was a bust because they took a ballsy go-for-broke risk that was the right thing to do at the time, imo.

Had Poile said no to Upshall/Parent for Forsberg, and they lost in the 1st round anyway (likely) and Upshall/Parent had similar 07-09ís for us that they did in Philly (or likely worse considering how they would have been handled here), I feel that most people would be way more upset that they didnít go for it, especially in light of what happened with ownership afterwards. Poile gets a pass, imo, because I think that trade was more dictated by Leipold.

Pessimistically, I am fine with Poile not making any moves because Iím not confident that a) theyíll make the playoffs either way or b) they make the playoffs and draw someone besides SJ/Detroit, or c) they win a first round series with this roster or this roster + 1 cast-off.

As much as it sucks, Iíd like to see them try as hard as they can this season, retain all current assets, have the younger players come in next year improved, have Sullyís (and De Vries?) contract come off the books, see if itís possible at all to salvage something for Radulovís rights, get a few mid-range free agents, and/or make a draft trade using their assets when the market is much more favorable in terms of quality and style of players available.

The above not happening in the summer and settling with this roster for 2009-2010 would make me much angrier with Poile than not making a move today.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote