Francis Bouillon (1.875M$)
Mathieu Dandenault (1.75M$)
Mike Komisarek (1.9M$)
Mathieu Schneider (5.75M$)
Patrice Brisebois (0.75M$)
Alex Henry (0.5M$)
Doug Janik (0.5M$)

Marc Denis (0.6M$)

That gives Bob a cap hit of 23.396M$. Let's say Bob will sign 4 of his own UFA's (I'll go with : Komisarek, Schneider (with a paycut), Kostopoulos and Koivu), for a total of 10M$. We now have 34M$ cap hit. Let's see our roster then :

C/LW/RW

1-?/A.Kost/?
2-Plekanec/?/? or *S.Kost
3-Koivu/Pacioretty/D'Agostini
4-Lapierre/Latendresse/Kostopoulos
*Laraque/Metropolit

D

1-Markov-?
2-Komisarek-Hamrlik
3-Schneider-Gorges
*?/?

G

1-Price
2-Halak
*?

IMO, here what Bob will need to sign from the UFA market to help us have a competitive team.

1-A number one center
2-A number one RW
3-A number two LW
4-A number two RW
5-A number two defenseman
*maybe a backup defenseman, and a backup goalie to Hamilton.
**We may fulfill a W spot by resigning Kovalev or Tanguay, but at a lower price they got now. If Sergei can clean up his mind, he can win a second line spot.

Let's take a look at who will hit the market this summer who could help us complete our puzzle :

Centers :
-Johan Franzen
-Mike Camalleri
-Nik Antropov
-Henrik Sedin
-Viktor Kozlov
*I don't see real number one center. I'd like Camalleri, or Franzen, but I highly doubt Bob can grab one. The Sedins will move or sign together.

LW :
-Erik Cole
-Martin Havlat
-Marian Gaborik
-Keith Tkachuk
-Daniel Sedin
-Taylor Pyatt
-Ruslan Fedotenko
*Not that much of impact here. But will need to make a pitch between Gaborik and Havlat (even if injury prones, if we want to see some talent on the left side).

RW :
-Maxim Afinogenov
-Marian Hossa
-Ales Kotalik
-Steve Sullivan
-Brian Gionta
-Mike Knuble
-Bill Guerin
-Petr Sykora
-Mike Grier
-Mikael Samuelsson
-Todd Bertuzzi
*Again, not that much impact players. Forget about Hossa. Bob will have plenty of choice here, and will need to make at least a pitch to one of these players.

Defensemen :
-Francois Beauchemin
-Jaroslav Spacek
-Jordan Leopold
-Daryl Sydor
-Adrian Aucoin
-Nick Boynton
-Martin Skoula
-Johnny Oduya
-Niclas Havelid
-Derek Morris
-Dmitri Kalinin
-Philippe Boucher
-Mattias Ohlund
*Lots of def, many I did not include, because we really need a number two defenseman after seeing Komisarek struggle lately. Ohlund? Beauchemin? Again, Bob will need to sign somebody here.

As far as I understand what I see, Bob Gainey will surely has lot of cap space... But the market isn't that great, and will he be able to sign at least 2 or 3 good attackers and a top 2 defenseman? I doubt... And If he can't, next year will be he's last.

What do you think about all that? Who do you think Bob should target July 1st, and who should he resign?
good post

but it means nothing

first of all whether any habs free agents return is out of gainey's hands now

and he has proven in the past either that he is unable to bring big names in or refuses to(after acquiring kovalev 5 YEARS AGO)

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote