View Single Post
Old
03-06-2009, 02:14 PM
grabo84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
What kind of weapon must be used in situations like this - where apparently cellar dweller teams WANT to take on more salary and get rid of high draft picks - to get the idea that you're not even close through your head?

Jokinen was just traded from Phoenix in a move that ACQUIRES a 1st, and drops 3 mil in salary off the books. Now you think they MIGHT trade their top-10 pick for 4.25 MORE in salary? There is no deal to be worked out regarding PHO's 1st and Kaberle.

Tampa Bay probably has interest in Kaberle for the sole reason that making a weekly roster move seems to be the norm. They could use defensive help, that's a given, but they're also losing a ****-ton of money and look at the marketing campaign regarding Steven Stamkos - this is a team trying to make some money and build itself properly.

When was the last time Los Angeles traded a high draft pick, let alone a top-10 pick? It goes against everything Lombardi has been preaching for the last few years.

Kaberle still has a lot of value - I think he can be a top-10 defenseman in the league a lot of nights - but more and more teams are waking up to the fact that building through the draft and getting production from players who are signed well below market value (either due to the ELC or an extension before they hit that level of production) is the difference between contenders and pretenders. Nearly every team that is successful - Chicago (Kane/Toews), Pittsburgh (Crosby/Malkin/Staal), San Jose (Pavelski/Clowe), New Jersey (Parise), Washington (Green/Ovechkin/Backstrom/Semin)... It's all on the backs of their young guys.

Kaberle is worth a 1st round pick and a good prospect without a doubt, but I doubt you'll be able to get a top-10 pick in a package based around him. It's just not the direction teams in the league are taking.
Well, I wasn't saying those teams would necessarily be interested, but that they fit the criteria I laid out - top ten draft pick this year, but want to contend next year. If a team like that already has the necessary young core, and feel they need an elite puck moving defenceman, they might be tempted to make the move for a player like Kaberle. Obviously a team that is starting a rebuild wouldn't do a move like this - examples include the Islanders and Thrashers. Likewise with Toronto.

Edit: So take that post as outlining the only scenario where Toronto might be able to deal for a top ten first with Kaberle. I wasn't saying it was likely.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote