View Single Post
Old
03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
SkullSplitter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Eaton is a capable top 4. If he is paired with Letang that is more than adequate.

Those contracts won't kick in until after next Summer.

That is exactly why Staal has to be traded, unless he finally becomes a top 6 winger (unlikely).

TK is not a top 6 winger and as long as the Pens keep miscasting players into the wrong role, they won't be an elite team.

Very possible...

Depends on if Shero is willing to give him the years he wants on his contract...
I'm personally not a fan of the Eaton and Letang pairing. I think Letang works better with an Orpik or a Gill. Eaton works good with Goligoski IMO.

I know when Gonchar and Letang's new contracts kick in. But because of the economic situation it's very sensible to get them locked up this summer. You don't want them to be cap casualties if the cap does indeed drop. And Ray needs to take advantage of the projection. If they sign believing the cap's going to drop and player values go down, then it doesn't, that's just fortunate for Pens management.

No TK is not a top 6 winger, but I really don't think they're going to have a legit top 6 next year. I'll literally eat crow if the Pens trade Staal or sign more than one legit top 6 player this offseason. Heckyll or Jekyll, your pick. Unless they pull the stop-gap maneuver again, which I think is what they may do.

When you look at the cap and realize that Letang and Gonchar need new contracts in 2010-2011 and that the cap is going to drop, the Pens simply can't afford to hand out multi-year deals to more than one guy.

They can't afford to make a UFA move that's going to jeopardize the future of the blue line.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote