Old
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Tortorella With the Media Today

Talked about Big Nik

Quote:
"He's exciting to me because of his size and his ability. You can see the ability to make plays. On Chris' (Drury's) goal, he made a great pass off the wall. (Wade) Redden's in front of the net instead of being on the point, he just rotated in front. Derek Morris has to understand to look in front, he's got a big shot, can move the puck."

Back to Antro: "I think he was in the background (with the Leafs). Sundin was everything in Toronto, Nik played kind of in the shadow, when you do that, you may get lost a little bit. We want him to be a big part of this team here, we're gonna give him the opportunity to not be in the shadow of anybody, be one of those guys we look to go to...I'm not in his head. I just want to see him try to make a difference every night and not wait for someone else to do that. That sometimes happens to players when another guys carrying the load and it kind of takes the pressure off you a little bit, ' I kinda don't have to be there all the time.' For us to get to be where we want to be, he has to be there every night for us. That's why we traded for him."
So he wants Nik to become a go to guy...interesting to see how Antropov will take that role but excited to see. Also looks like he wants Nik to become a big part of the team..maybe to give him something to look forward to next season? Resigning hopefully...

Then its gets hilarious:

Quote:
Torts: "I think the boys like playing afternoon games. You don't have to wait around, that's the worst part about the game of hockey. You have the morning skate, you have meetings, that allows coaches to overcoach, you have all day long to talk about it; it's an instinctive game and when you play those afternoon games, I think it's great for coaches and players because you get right at it."

At that point, I volunteered that the Rangers were 0 and 5 this season in the afternoon, and before I could finish, I touched a nerve.

"I don't give a damn about your stats," Torts shot back. "I don't give a damn about your stats. We're gonna try to approach the game the proper way. I'm not a big stat guy, you can turn those things around anyway you want."

The coach then basically tossed off another writer's question as to whether there was any difference getting guys into the lineup at home or on the road. (FYI, Aaron Voros skated with the team again.)

"You're over-thinking it," Torts said.

Reporter: "I'm not overthinking it, I'm asking you a question, I want your opinion."

Torts: "I'm not over-thinking it, so I'll say no."

End of media session.

Anyone else thinking that "reporter" at the end might have been Brooks?

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

There is a bit more, but i posted the interesting stuff.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote