View Single Post
Old
08-28-2004, 03:40 PM
garry1221

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye
IMO, the players just want to operate in a system where they make the most money possible (what they can get away with)... and the owners now finally want to operate in a system where they pay the least money possible (what they can get away with)... This is how it is supposed to work to keep an equilibrium - to keep things in check! If the players want as much as they can and the owners keep giving it to them - eventually, there is not going to be any more to give - i.e. bankrupcy...

With the way things are now, there is nothing to suggest that the escalating salary problem would correct itself in a 'free market economy' (i.e. as a group, the owners do not have the sense or discipline or whatever to control themselves!!) - therefore, the players want to maintain the status quo... The players love a system that allows out of control owners to act out of control...

I don't blame the players for their 'no cap' stance... I don't blame the owners for their 'cap' stance... IMO, it's the nature of the beast - such is business... The players want to stay in a system that has kept paying them more year after year - and the owners now want the salaries to stop increasing - and even better - decrease...

But I do side with the owners (even though I think the salary escalating problem is their fault)... IMHO, the players are getting too good of a deal - IMO, the NHL allowed the NHLPA to become too powerful - and I believe that it's killing NHL hockey...

I believe that the players should be multi-millionares (for what they do - and the large amounts of money that they help generate, IMO, they deserve it)- but not get paid so much that it ends up exploding the NHL - a league I grew up watching, with a team I've supported since a little kid...

I believe that the owners are guilty for the escalating salaries problem (IMO, it's not the players fault for getting as much as they can)... I don't have enough faith in the owners to turn the ship around on their own... It would be great if they could - but nothing proves to me that they would - IMO, the owners spending NEEDS to be controlled...

and thus, I support a cap - and support a lengthy lockout if necessary to get it...

IMO, salaries should be determined - 'at the top' - i.e. the NHL office... The NHL is the one who should be keeping an eye and hand on revenues and expenses... as any franchisee would...

Imagine a McDonalds (most obvious franchisee) business model that allowed the individual franchises to determine employee salaries... Imagine a business model that allowed the individual franchises to set how much they will charge for a big mac... Eventually the 'free market' between the franchises takes over - and the control the francisee has lessons and lessons to the point where it becomes the least powerful in the relationship... Not only does Macdonald's now compete with Burger King, Wendy's, etc... MacDonald's now competes with itself! The franchises start to think and operate like their franchise is what matters most of all - NOT the overall McDonalds... MacDonald's basically put a noose around its neck and hung themselves...

Like the NHL has done... and for really no good reason other than not thinking about the long term consequences...
hit the nail on the head, something needs to be put in place where teams work as a whole, yeah even in a franchise there's competition, but as you said, pay is the same across the board, it's what NEEDS to be done, whether by salary cap or some kinda base salary system that works mostly on bonuses