View Single Post
Old
03-07-2009, 10:56 PM
austrooper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
It's so both teams don't arrive at the Nationals after (possibly) having battled each other to death in a 5 game series that ultimately doesn't have much meaning other than who to give the trophy to. You want both of your teams to make it to Nationals as fresh as possible to better represent your conference.

And sure, seeding at Nationals is important, but it's not everything. Honestly, look at the UNB - Saskatchewan game last year, everyone was pumped about how great the game would be, and Saskatchewan turned in one of the worse performances of the tournament (possibly tied with our game against McGill ) And I also didn't give us much of a chance to beat Alberta on the first day of competition either. So yeah, seeding may be important, but funny things happen in these 'one game' tournaments.

Timbit, I appreciate the sentiment about not wanting to beat each other up. But heck, it's hockey and while the nationals are something to aspire to, to me the big deal is the conference (hyou play against those guys all year, why shoudn't it have more meaning? especially if you're trying to sell the level....look at the Q, they play best-of-sevens because they know it generates interest, it sells and it brings in dollars.......as you indicate, too many weird things happen in a sudden-death situation which is basically what the nationals are all about..they manipulate the seedings and/or sked to suit the format and best sell it to the local market, in this case, Thunder Bay...I just think there are many concessions made for the sake of a national tournament.........a program is only as good as its conference....you're trying to cultivate fans and the best way of doing that is through playoffs...look at the pros and cons of a best of five opposed to a best of three.....the only con is, like you suggest, possible injuries through a five game series.....2 weeks off is not a good thing...play a best of five starting this wednesday, friday, sunday, wednesday, friday......finishing on March 20......nationals begin the following thursday.....not particularly overly taxing.....think of money being generated in a best of five........think of the interest generated for university hockey.....anything to get the attention of the buying public

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote