View Single Post
Old
03-09-2009, 12:29 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Folks, Don Waddell and Ilya Kovalchuk are really tight together. My suspicion is that Don's already promised him the money and Ilya's on board. I've never seen an impeding desirably UFA be so gung-ho about his team, especially a team as horrible as Atlanta. Kovy goes out of his way now to promote the team and rally the fans. At the recent Season Ticket Holder Town Hall Meeting, the owners didn't show up...Kovalchuk did and took questions about the team's future. He said Atlanta will get that one big forward they need and have a great year next season.

Last night after the game, he addressed the crowd as the #1 star and promised that with the support of the fans "We will go all the way". Ilya has already said that he wants to win with the team that drafted him...it's a challenge and a matter of pride.

Waddell said at the beginning of last season that he was preparing the owners for a Ovechkin-like contract for Kovalchuk. It's naive to think Don and Ilya haven't already reached a gentleman's agreement.
Wow, didn't know all of that went down. Hell of a way to step up as a Captain, which is also another reason why he won't be traded. People who really think their team has a chance of getting Kovie really need to get their heads checked. He can be a top 5 player in the league when he's on (like right now), and I honestly think he will sign an extension sooner than later.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote