View Single Post
Old
03-10-2009, 08:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Wayne Fleming's thoughts on Alexei Cherepanov

Wayne Fleming coached Omsk earlier this season.Omsk hired Fleming on Jaromir Jagr's recommendation after speaking with Tom Renney.Fleming is a long time NHL assistant coach.He called Glen Sather about the news concerning Cherepanov.

Quote:
"We were playing Chris Simon's team. Yes, that Chris Simon. I think there were 1,000 penalty minutes. Anyway, they were a big, physical team. Before the game started, I was walking down behind the bench, stopped and said to Alexei, 'No fighting tonight, huh?' And he smiled at me. He had a wonderful little smile.

"That's the last thing I ever said to him
.''
Quote:
"Oh, yeah, he would've been a really, really, good NHLer. Anyone blessed with the sort of goal-scoring ability Alexei had could've done it in any league. But it was his enthusiasm that set him apart. There are lot of talented players, from Sweden and Finland and Russia and all over. What sets the great ones apart is that kind of enthusiasm.

"He wasn't the same type of player as Ovechkin, but he had the same sort of passion for the game.

"He was the Chosen One, the Golden Boy, of Omsk. He'd grown up there and was a source of pride for the entire city. But all of Russia grieved when he died
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Health/...212/story.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote