View Single Post
Old
03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
GuitarAwesome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTNINGFan View Post
Alrighty boys, no longer am I a virgin to the ice. Tonight was well worth the 3 hr roundtrip for nearly an hour on the ice.

Since I have no skates, I had to get some from the house. I am glad I knew I needed something smaller than my regular shoe size as the kiddo behind the desk said I needed a 9. I wear a 9.5. I went ahead and asked for an 8, and I'm glad I did. A bit tight around the toes, and although I didn't have a tool to tighten the strings, I did well enough to keep the boots flopping around my ankles, thankfully.

I go to hit the ice, and was a little tentative. After all, I was used to roller, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't over zealous with my excitement to get out there. As soon as I took my first couple strides, I was ok. I did much better than I thought I would. I just remembered to keep my balance squared away. Thanks to Head Coach on his post as I kept all of that in the back of my mind, and it helped. I never felt my skates get away from me, so that was good. Of course there were a few times that I lost my concentration, turned a little, and down I went. I guess falling 2 or 3 times wasn't too bad

While out there, I pushed and skated as hard as I could. It was nice to get a tap from the instructor after we finished up for him to tell me he was impressed with my hustle and work ethic. It meant a lot for this first timer...

For the bad of my abilities tonight: By habit, I was catching myself trying to stop like in roller hockey Also, my crossovers going left (left foot over right) was horrible. I am not great at this on roller, and worse on ice. It's something I need to work on of course along with my stopping.

Thankfully the negative isn't outweighing the positives from tonight. It was great fun. A few of the guys out there have been playing for a bit, and you could tell they had some experience. A couple others were new, but they pushed and had fun as well. Also, it was co-ed, and a couple gals were there and played well.

Sorry to bore you to tears boys, thanks for reading And thanks to you all for the tips and suggestions
That is exactly what hockey is all about. Good times. Well done.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote