View Single Post
Old
08-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I in the Eye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginner's in T.O.
The phrase collusion can and should be applied to any instance where one group of people or organizations pool efforts or make agreements to disadvantage another group of people. The word is used when such an agreement is tacit or otherwise. Collusion DOES apply (and I think most historical instances have been so) when there is an oligopoly, or oligopolistic competition (a small number of large/powerful companies in a large industry). Banking, Oil and Gas, Transportation, and Communications are all very good examples.
Agreed... I was pointing out that I consider the Oil example different from the NHL example (not exactly apples to apples) - as I consider the Oil example to be cross-industry collusion, whereas I consider the NHL example to be cross-franchise collusion... But both are examples of collusion...

I just wanted to be clear that I don't consider the NHL to be an industry - where the franchises are individual businesses operating in the 'NHL' industry - but rather the team franchises are simply that - franchises that operate under the NHL business (franchisee) that operates in the 'professional hockey industry'...