Old
08-30-2004, 01:34 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ68NYR
They did get there top goalie but they already had Blackburn and Lundqvist, both of which will be number 1 goalies at one point or another because they are that good of prospects. Tukonen was the one i really wanted and then we could have came out still with korpikoski later which would have been great because then we would have drafted two 1st line linemates from the finland team. I'm just trying to like montoya and hope that sather and crew maybe made the right decision.
While I hated the pick (Montoya) I began to come around after I read more and thought more. While I would probably not have picked Montoya, I understand the pick. Blackburn and Lundqvist are good prospects but they are just that. Blackburn missed an entire season because of an injury and there still is no real news that he is completely healed and healthy. Lundqvist has never played in North America on the smaller ice surface. He has not demonstrated that he can yet. Personally, my biggest concern is how he will adapt to the increase traffiic in front of him. It is what has been the biggest obsticle that European goalies have faced after they come over.

Because neither Blackbur nor Lundqvist are a lock, the pick does make some sense. What gives me the most hope is the Rangers got two of the guys they wanted where they wanted. They really didn't reach for a player or take a player too soon. When that happens and you get the guys you want that bodes well.