View Single Post
Old
08-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
If I'm not mistaken, the waiver draft allows teams to protect a certain number of waiver-eligible players -- such as 18 skaters and two goaltenders or 16 skaters and three goaltenders -- with eligibility being qualified by experience (in age and/or games played).

For example -- a player who's 20 who has played 60 or more NHL games would have to be protected, while one who is 20 and hasn't played any NHL games would not. I'm not saying those numbers are accurate, but I'm pretty sure that's how the system works.

So explain to me again how acquiring more assets that are clearly waiver-eligible would protect any of our current assets that are eligible as well? It just means we'll have more players available at the draft than others. The only reasoning is if a team can only lose a certain number of players -- and even then, if we were to select someone in the draft, we'd have to expose one of our protected group.

At this point, I'm not sure we even have 18 (or even 16) skaters who would be eligible to be protected, so we could protect some "useless" players in addition to our few assets with no fear of exposing them when the draft comes should we decide to select a player in the waiver draft.
You're pretty much right--although some of your details are off. Here's the waiver draft rules from the 2002-3 season (don't have any more recent ones, but it doesn't change from year to year--although given the fact that the waiver draft will take place after the CBA expires, the rules may change if there is a new CBA in place or just because the owners decide to change it).

Waiver Draft Rules

The 2002-03 NHL Waiver Draft will be held Friday, Oct. 4 at 9:00 a.m. PST. Below are the key dates and times leading to the Waiver Draft, plus information regarding the Draft format. The NHL will release the list of protected and unprotected players on Wednesday.

The rules of the waiver draft is as follows:

In the first round, non-playoff clubs from the 2001-02 season participate.

In the first round, no club may claim from a club in its own division.

No club may lose more than three players in the Waiver Draft, unless it chooses to offer more players. Each club's three-player loss limit will increase by the number of draft claims it makes against other clubs.

The draft will conclude when a round is completed in which no clubmakes a claim.
Exemptions
The number of years a player is exempt from the Waiver Draft is outlined below. The exemption ends once the player has played in the number of NHL games set forth in the applicable column below.

Goaltenders Age Years from
NHL signing NHL Games
Played*
18 6 or 80
19 5 or 80
20 4 or 80
21 4 or 60
22 4 or 60
23 3 or 60
24 2 or 60
25+ 1 or -

Skaters Age Years from
NHL signing NHL Games
Played*
18 5 or 160
19 4 or 160
20 3 or 160
21 3 or 80
22 3 or 70
23 3 or 60
24 2 or 60
25+ 1 or -

* 'NHL games played' includes all regular-season and playoff games. A skater who plays in 11 or more NHL games as a 18- or 19-year-old will have his exemption reduced from five and four years, respectively, to three years. A goaltender who plays in 11 or more NHL games as an 18- or 19-year-old will have his exemption reduced from six and five years, respectively, to four years.

Right now, I don't think there is an issue for the skaters. However, the team will have to decide which goalie to leave unprotected as Dunham, Weekes and LaBarbera are all waiver eligible. Don't think it will be a hard decision though.