View Single Post
Old
03-12-2009, 09:54 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Any time you see you're teammate lying on the ice you assume it wasn't a "clean" hit. You assume that there was some reason why your teammate wasn't able to protect himself from the hit. These are split second decisions. Remember when doughty got knee'd? O'Donnell didn't even see it but went over and got in the guys face and threw a cross check because he heard Doughty get hit and assumed that there was something wrong with it. Didn't Lappy say "I didn't see it but heard it and he's known for those kind of things" when Zeiler boarded Foote? Every player has a bias to protect their teammates. It doesn't matter if it looks clean to us, on the ice, the players see it differently or sometimes don't even have the benefit of seeing the hit. They see their teammate on the ice and the guy skating away from him.
You raise some very good points. So, what would you suggest?

There's obviously no panacea to this all-too-common-problem. Personally, I would like to take the side of caution and only retaliate if there's a penalty on the play. However, if there's no penalty, then play smart and stand up for your downed teammate and challenge the opposing player to a fight but don't take the extra penalty for it.

Like I said, there's no perfect solution and guys like O'D have a much tougher split second decision to make than I had realized. Otherwise, it wouldn't have taken 20 minutes to write this one minutes worth of posting.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote