Thread: goalie advice..
View Single Post
Old
03-12-2009, 10:05 AM
DevsFan84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettholmesx View Post
im a goalie and have been for about 12 years now. i did quit playing hockey for about 4 years and got back into it about 2 years ago.

since coming back ive improved my game quite a bit. quicker pads, better positioning, better blocker, glove, etc..

my two biggest weaknesses though are still my glove and blocker.
i try my hardest to position them correctly, but i still seem to be slow with both.

any experienced goalies out there that give me any tips how to make them quicker? anything at all?

sounds foolish i know, but i could use the help.

thanks
Not foolish at all...

I'll say first off I've never had a goalie coach and I started as an adult. I've always had decent reflexes, but there is something I do to improve my glove hands...and its easy to do anywhere and free. And I think it has worked.

I take a handball, or tennis ball, or whatever I have handy that bounces...throw it off the ground and against the wall and catch it. Then I throw with the other hand, repeat. (I realize you aren't going to catch a puck with your blocker, but getting your hand in the right position is the point) I make sure to follow the ball with my eyes going into my hand, which is what you should do with a puck. I do this at work all day.

I'm sure there are more sophisticated drills out there, but thats what I do. Good luck.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote