Thread: Hf Rankings....
View Single Post
Old
08-31-2004, 10:21 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
As a HF writer and fan of one of the largest groups of fans at HF, I know exactly where you are coming from. A few years back, we had a great writer for the Habs, but all of the sudden he just stopped writing as he had personal things to take care of. Many of the Hab fans, myself included complained to no end that there was Zero coverage of the most storied team in hockey history. After many months, I was asked to write for the Habs (I guess because I complained the most and was writing for Habrus and Habsworld) what I did was to act as the Habs writer, even though at the time HF didn't consider me a writer. I would follow every Canadiens prospect and then I would post on the Habs board updates on the prospects on a weekly basis or whenever was needed. Yes it's not the same as seeing articles on the main page, but Hab fans were kept informed of how their prospects were doing.

So far I've seen a lot of complaints, but that's the easy part. The hard part is doing the work for free on a regular basis. HF is what you make of it, it doesn't owe you just cause there's a lot of fans. As for taking shots at a free site, that's pretty low. I can tell you many many people on this staff put in hours of their time and get nothing for it. No money, no thank you's, nothing but taking time out of each person's busy schedule to do things for HF so that fans have something to entertain them. I understand completely the frustration at not having a writer, I was in the same boat 2 years ago, but I WORKED at doing something about it, not taking shots at the site. If you understood how much time/effort people put into this, you might realize that it's unfair to many to put down a free site that asks nothing from you.

As for the age thing, I think 18 is too young, and should be even higher, as it's very very difficult to get NHL teams to consider us as legitmate. To me you have to consider what's best for the entire organization over one section.