View Single Post
Old
08-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Clarke will not offer him a two way contract. There is no way Ruzicka is ready for the NHL.

fine... then he gets AHL money, which is specifically why two-way contracts exist.

But if there's a lockout, Ruzicka has said he doesn't want to play in the AHL, and he's not ready for the NHL, I don't see where else he can play but OS.

if there is a lockout, there is no CBA, which means Clarkie will not have offered him a contract. ALL of their prospects, including Richards and Carter who will both be given a LONG look at making the squad this year, are waiting on a CBA in order to get signed. Clarkie contemplated letting Pitkanen float around until this year specifically so he could have signed him under a much stricter rookie contract structure that would have limited the bonus' that Pitkanen has in his contract.

Like I said, Rosy has no shot of making the Flyers.

same was said of Williams... he got to camp and impressed. there is a depth problem at wing on this team, especially guys who could potentially light the lamp. does that mean he has a front-runner status? no. but i think a guy who had as good a year as he did last year in the OHL will get a look.

You're sure the Flyers would rather have him playing at that level. Really? Because I'm pretty sure he was brought over from Europe to play with Mike Stothers.

http://www.jeremy-roenick.com/flyersnews_summer4.htm
"What is clear is the Flyers' desire to trim their payroll and make room for rookie forwards Jeff Carter, Mike Richards or Stefan Ruzicka and goaltender Antero Niittymaki. "

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/9008525.htm
"Ryan Sittler was taken seventh overall in 1992 and didn't work out. By comparison, Vaclav Prospal (1993) and Patrick Sharp (2001) were taken in the third round, as was forward Stefan Ruzicka last year. And he is projected to play at least for the Phantoms next year."

He played his year with Stothers and exploded onto the N. American sized rink. You don't stagnate players at the same talent level, you keep challenging them. It doesn't make sense to leave a kid who can play against better competition both in games and in practice, get closer scrutiny from management with the Phantoms, and the Flyers have consistently shown they like to bring players through the Phantoms en route.

ALL of this is moot until a CBA is formalized, but my original point is that him showing up for training camp in Owen Sound when he has no contract with the Flyers says nothing about what his status will be with the Flyers this coming year. They aren't offering these guys contracts until there is a CBA, thus his ONLY option is to play with Owen Sound this year as of now.