View Single Post
Old
03-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Escapades

vCash: 500
When I was 13, the day after my father died of Lung cancer, I had a hockey game against a team that had beaten us twice (close games) that season. My Mom, who has Multiple Sclerosis and is wheelchair bound, had come out to the game for just the second time ever to watch me play. With under 2 minutes left to play the score was tied 2-2 and I had scored both goals ( at the time this was not common at all for me to do ). I was coming up the boards and tried to cut to the middle but one of there players impeded me enough so that the puck slid off my stick about a foot. In a last ditch effort a did a diving slap shot and hit the ground while simultaneously hearing a loud *ping* noise. Lying on the ground I looked over and saw the puck lying in the net (my teammate told me later I had rung it in off the crossbar). I just laid there for a good 30 seconds doing snow angels and smiling like I'd never thought I'd smile again, while staring up at the ceiling while my teammates came over. we won the game 3-2 and I had my first ever hat trick. . .

The first two goals I had scored I attribute to my own doing, but that third one was different. I was staring at the puck the whole time, I was off balance (well airborne), I had the vaguest idea of where the net was, and I was just trying to make contact, Those first two were my goals, that third one, that was my Dad. That is, maybe not my greatest moment, but my most emotional moment on the ice.

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote