View Single Post
Old
03-14-2009, 01:30 PM
bobfina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw26 View Post
Which is the dumbest thing in the world...where's the harm?

I believe that's the same lens I have. Not taken it to a game at the Wach, but I did take it to one of the Sens-Flyers games in Ottawa during the '06-'07 season. Dude at the gates wasn't gonna let me in (we were sitting about 5 rows from the roof) so I said ok, "I'll use my smaller lens (a 28-70mm)" and showed it to him in my bag. He said ok and let me through. But you know I used the 70-210mm and the pics still weren't that great from such a long distance away. Honestly, I think mooks at the ticket turnstiles target Canon long lenses the most because of their color. If they were black like most lenses, they wouldn't bat an eye.

I've used the same lens at Carolina Panther games as well as at many MLB stadiums. Never any real hassle. I don't get the whole "pro equip" thing. It's not like you're shooting from an optimal location or using remotes to fire the big time flash units in the arena.
I agree with you that Canon cameras are targeted more because of the color and not for the type of lens. What they need to look for are the L series lenses which are the ones with the red ring on the end.

As for what's the harm, well, there is a LOT of harm. First, the team already has a photographer and some people will either try to post their stuff as the team photographer or even worse, sell the photos on sites such as Ebay. Yes, I have already reported some people for selling photos that I know they didn't own. This practice of selling photos can harm the credibility of the photographer. Also, if people sell these photos, they are illegally selling them which takes money out of the team's pocket and more importantly, the photographer's pocket.

Also, your comment that you can't take good pictures from the top of the arena is wrong as well. Here are some of my photos from the top of the Wachovia Center.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobfina...7615252821318/

Now I cropped them down from my original size. I listed the crop ratio (print size) and their corresponding dpi. Anything over 150 dpi is acceptable for most people. 200 dpi looks good and 300 dpi is overkill for 99% of all people.

IMG_0059386 - 8x10 - 144.5 dpi
IMG_0059500 - 8x10 - 218.0 dpi
IMG_0059516 - 8x10 - 189.2 dpi
IMG_0059570 - 8x10 - 185.6 dpi
IMG_0059608 - 8x10 - 185.9 dpi

As you can see, they all fit into the decent category. I used a Canon 40D with the 70-200mm non-IS lens. Now the first two photos are from the first level during the warmups. This is the time when most people take the shots that they sell. So as you can see, a 10.1 MP image is more than enough to get a good print from. Now if I reduced them down to 4x6s, most of the dpi ranges would be 250+

As for me, I have been shooting for the Philadelphia Phantoms for the past two seasons. During this time I have learned a lot about photography and the professionals in that industry. One of the main things that I learned is that people who are photographers for a living, are harmed by the practices of hobbyists. One such example is the price that some people sell their photos. Just because you already have a full time job and you don't care that you sell your 8x10s for $8-10, this hurts the professionals. They need to live off of that money and that's why they sell them at $16-20 for an 8x10. It's like when you get into consulting, you charge double your normal hourly rate because you don't work all the time. So you make up that lost time working with a higher billable rate. Now if people keep constantly low balling the professionals, then they will lose jobs to these cheaper workers. This is much akin to foreign laborers coming into this country and doing the job for much less than what an American would do it for. And as most of us know, this irritates a good portion of the population.

Now this posting is long enough so I will stop now even though I have so much more to say.

bobfina is offline   Reply With Quote