View Single Post
Old
03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
No idea if he's an actual NHL prospect, a team still needs to sign players that will contribute at other levels in the organization. And who knows perhaps he develops over the next 3 years and does become a guy who has a future as a #6/7 guy.
I still think he has more upside than that... I think that people are underrating him, just like they have Patrick White, just because they aren't as good as the positions they were drafted in. If White and Ellington were 3rd-4th round picks, a lot more people, I think, would consider them to have NHL upside.

Ellington did put up pretty good offensive numbers in junior this year for a guy who's a defensive dman, with limited offensive potential... he could definitely be a late-bloomer... at his age, he's probably a more accomplished prospect than Bieksa was at the same age... Bieksa didn't show much offensively at the same age in the NCAA.

Not saying that Ellington can turn out to be as good, or even a similar dman... just that's it's way too early to write him off... IMO he still has a shot of being a #4 guy in the NHL.

and I think White still has that shot of being a contributing player at the NHL level.

both guys are likely at least 2-3 years away though.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote