View Single Post
Old
03-16-2009, 02:54 PM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Defensemen also typically take longer to develop. Ellington isn't exactly delighting me with his play, but there's no point to give up on him. Perhaps he just needs to be 'nurtured' via Gillis' new development philosophy.

Regardless, the Canucks have next to nothing in the farm system when it comes to defensemen, so you have to take what you can get.
Yeah, I don't think anyone (or at least any reasonable person) is saying he's a bust, but the odds are against him becoming a valuable player. Maybe he develops well and does reach a high level of play, but it's unlikely (but not impossible) at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Unless the guy is 6'9" I don't think you should waste a draft pick, any round, on a purely defensive defenseman.

Solid defensive play takes years to develop. Every year we pick up guys like Rory Fitzpatrick, Aaron Miller, Ossi Vaananen, etc. for peanuts. Let someone else develop these guys.
There is little to no value in defensive defensemen outside of the elite shutdown-only guys (and even then I'd argue you get better bang for your buck with more well rounded players, for the most part). You don't create a winning team by having Taylor Ellington replacing Ossi Vaananen for $300k in savings for the cap. You create winning team by having young players play in key roles on your team saving yourself millions.

If he ever does develop by that point it's likely the Canucks will be re-signing him for market value anyway.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote